La Cala del Moral
La Cala del Moral is a bay in the municipality of Rincón de la Victoria, located in the region of Axarquía - Costa del Sol, province of Malaga, Andalusia, Spain. It is situated between the town of Totalán, Malaga, and Rincón de la Victoria. Just ten kilometers from Malaga, 23 km from Velez Malaga and 2 from Rincon de la Victoria.
This enclave became known with its current name in the XVI century, being one of the key places in the defense and vigil of the eastern coastline of Malaga. It is separated from Rincón de la Victoria by the slope of El Cantal and it was not until the 20th century that it became a refuge for fishermen in the area. Since prehistory, man was present in the area, this is demonstrated by the finding of objects, cave paintings and Paleolithic remains found in the Cave of the Higuerón (Cave of the Treasure). From the 6th century BC, there is a type of boat in this area that is closely related to the Malaga tradition, "La Jabega".
Monuments and places of interest
- Treasure Cave: One of only three under water (submarine) caves known in the world and the only one in Europe. Its name comes from the legend about a treasure of the Almoravid royalty, which was allegedly found inside the cavity.
- House of Culture: located in Plaza Gloria Fuertes. The local Library is today housed in this building, and various literary activities take place here throughout the year. The Muses Hall, where many exhibitions take place was inaugurated in 1989 and occupies an area of 137 square metres.
- Church of Our Lady of the Rosary: located in the Plaza de Antonio Estrada, where there are several virgins, the headline is Our Lady of the Rosary but by the maritime tradition of the town we also find the Virgin of Carmen and the Virgin of the Dolores. It was built in 1868 and renovated in 1940. The current church is bright and spacious, and replaces the old hermitage that was on the Main Avenue, which grew a little as the population grew.
- Promenade El Cantal: Communicates the Cove with the promenade of Rincón de la Victoria, has spectacular views of the marine landscape. Here we will find the Sanctuary of the Virgen del Carmen. Also is the Tower of the Cantal, that is one of the towers of Arab defense. It is located on the cliff overlooking the see and faces the Rincon de la Victoria area so that from the beach of La Cala is not appreciated. Around it there are houses that have wonderful views.
- Municipal Museum of Folk Arts and Traditions: An ethnographic museum in which objects and activities in danger of disappearance are shown, like a bake mill (mill) and objects related to the work of the field.
- Sala Mare-Nostrum: Located at the stop of the train station of the Paseo Marítimo de la Cala. It was inaugurated in May 2006. Since then its two floors have served for exhibitions. The first of them on trains and numerous exhibitions painting and sculpture. Since opening, every Thursday a new exhibition is inaugurated inside.
The beach is made up of gravel and dark sand, with moderate swell, promenade and a high degree of occupation. It terminates at the Totalán stream and the Cantal promontory, which separates it from the Rincon de la Victoria beach. It has 1.3 km of coastline and 40 meters of medium width. The beach of Cala del Moral has access for the disabled and easy access on foot, rescue service, public toilets and shaded areas. It has the Blue Flag since 2013, granted by the European Foundation of Environmental Education to fulfill a series of environmental conditions and facilities.